What do the following have in common:
- A business owner who is having a hard time driving her business…
- A student at a challenging academic school who is used to being top of the class but now is middle of the pack…
- A sibling who has become addicted to something whether it is alcohol, gambling, prescription drugs, etc…
They all pull back from their social networks.
- The business owner works more and more hours calling on the same resources that got her in the mess in the first place while she tries to figure it out on her own
- The student locks himself in a cubicle at night extending his study hours hoping to figure it out while wrestling with why other people get it and he doesn’t
- The sibling skips family functions, returns phone calls late if at all and wonders why no one cares
Whether it is guilt, shame or depression, all research suggests it is a HUGE mistake.
When the going gets tough, the tough don’t go it alone. They rely on their social network to get them through the spell they are in. When you are in a challenging time, that’s when you have to rely more on friends, family and mentors to provide a different perspective and help you move forward.
Brain scans have shown repeatedly that brain activity increases when you talk through something as opposed to when you think about it.
So the challenge for you today is to have the courage to set pride aside and when you are in a jam turn to those that can help you get out of the jam. There are people in your social network that will put judgement aside and help you figure it out. And in time, someone will call on you to do the same.
Everyone needs a sounding board. If you need one for your business, reach out to your local ActionCOACH business coach.
Have a great weekend.